PGCE by distance learning

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Disgruntled on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:28 pm

I would like to hear other people's views on the following...

I'm in Dubai and looking into doing a PGCE online.

A colleague opted to do a PGCE via distance (he's also in Dubai) with the University of Sunderland at a cost of about 7500GBP, I think. (As this is distance learning, you don't get QTS)

To do a PGCEi with other providers would have cost about 4000GBP.

The difference -the UoS PGCE is a full PGCE including a teaching practicum, mentor etc and involves submitting a portfolio of evidence to satisfy the UK teaching standards. With a PGCEi it is purely academic and does not have a teaching practicum.

Having submitted his portfolio, he satisfied all standards and received his PGCE.

This is where things get a little strange........

About 6 months ago, he applied for the Assessment only route to QTS, only to be told that his experience and qualifications will not satisfy the requirements - the same requirements, and submitting a portfolio of evidence will not provide a positive outcome.

How can it be that he satisfied the requirements of the UK Teaching Standards during his PGCE, but yet without even submitting anything he is being told told that he will NOT satisfy the requirements for QTS.

Sounds like a bit of a scam to me to be honest. I would appreciate it if anybody can share some sensible views on this before I make my choice. Thanks! :)
Disgruntled
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat