Are teachers happy in their jobs?

Are you an NQT? Chat to other NQT's here.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby shineyboot on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi All,

I have applied for a PCGE primary but have been working for 10 years since I finished my degree in a office based project management role. I work in a demanding job which involves lots of long distance travel, endless meetings, spreadsheets, complicated paperwork and long hours. My time in schools has been like another world, equally tiring but very rewarding compared to the office work I currently do. I immediately saw all the positives that teaching had to offer, the flexible way of working, the rewarding nature of working with the children and the opportunity to do different things, learn new things and be creative.
I have spent enough time in school to see the job 'warts and all' and know it's extremely hard work but still remain positive about teaching in comparison to my current work which I find boring and unrewarding. However I was disappointed to find all the teachers I met in the school were extremely negative about the job, they seemed exhausted and stressed and very few of them spoke positively about the role or were willing to answer my questions about the profession. I have been in a few schools now and this seems to be the norm, teachers don't seem happy. I've had several people warning me not to do the PCGE including one of my friends who did one and dropped out of teaching after 1 year.

I was just wondering if my positive attitude will wear off and I will become exhausted and jaded like all the other teachers I've met recently?
shineyboot
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are teachers happy in their jobs?

Postby foxtrot on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 am

I can only speak for myself, that I went into teaching after volunteering for six months full time. I had no idea that my enthusiasm would wear off so quickly. I am currently looking into changing careers despite being very good at my job. Every one of the group I trained with also feel like this which is a shame cos for the odd few it really is a great profession. You have to do what you feel but there are lots of sites available for people to ask about problems etc so i dont think it's uncommon for teachers to be unhappy etc.
foxtrot
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Anna on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm an NQT and so have only been teaching for 6 months, but I love my job! It cheers me up when I'm feeling bad about anything else. I find it so engaging and rewarding. Even when it's frustrating or difficult I love the challenge, and thinking through strategies to make it better. If you just wanted a way to earn money it'd be awful, but if you're prepared to commit to it and get really involved with it then it's fantastic! I obviously don't know if I'll carry on like this or will become jaded and cynical, but having done boring unskilled work for a few years I am really proud and excited to have a job like this.
Anna
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby pauladamsyeah on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Teachers who work in good supportive schools with nice students are happy. Having good resources and ideas helps!! :mrgreen:
pauladamsyeah
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to NQT Chat